This book is written for Vue.js 2 and Vue Test Utils v1.
Find the Vue.js 3 version here.
# What is this guide?
Welcome to the Vue.js testing handbook!
This is a collection of short, focused examples on how to test Vue components. It uses
vue-test-utils, the official library for testing Vue components, and Jest, a modern testing framework. It covers the
vue-test-utils API, as well as best practises for testing components.
Each section is independent from the others. We start off by setting up an environment with
vue-cli and writing a simple test. Next, two ways to render a component are discussed -
shallowMount. The differences will be demonstrated and explained.
From then on, we cover how to test various scenarios that arise when testing components, such as testing components that:
- receive props
- use computed properties
- render other components
- emit events
and so forth. We then move on to more interesting cases, such as:
- best practises for testing Vuex (in components, and independently)
- testing Vue router
- testing involving third party components
We will also explore how to use the Jest API to make our tests more robust, such as:
- mocking API responses
- mocking and spying on modules
- using snapshots
# Further Reading
Other useful resources include:
- Official docs
- I made free series on Vue Test Utils + Vue 3: YouTube playlist
- My Vue.js 3 + Unit Testing Course. VUEJS_COURSE_10_OFF for a $10 discount!
- This course on VueSchool by several Vue core contributors